Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
Complete the following and forward as scanned PDF documents to firstname.lastname@example.org . On the subject line of the email, please include the following: Department ID, “Faculty”, Position number, “Recruit” and IF funding includes unrestricted and/or restricted sources, include “unrestricted” and/or “restricted”.
- Must have a position # assigned.
- For replacement positions, use the current incumbent’s position number unless the individual is not yet terminated in MyUFL. If they are still active in MyUFL, create a new position or use an existing “unfilled” position number.
- For instructions on how to create a new position number.
- Requests for new or replacements funded 100% by restricted funds (Externally funded contract or grant, foundation, overhead, miscellaneous donors or Auxiliary funds) will be reviewed by the budget office for tracking purposes. The department will not be required to await an approval to proceed with posting the requisition in Careers at UF for these positions. However, the completed forms must be forwarded to the listserv before your requisitions will receive level 1 approval.
- All other positions (new or replacement positions funded either in full or part by unrestricted funds) must await approved Hiring Form prior to proceeding with advertisement.
2. The Hiring Authority (cannot be on the committee) appoints a search committee consisting of a chair and at least 2 members, and provides a clear and precise charge to the committee. Upon appointment, and prior to participating in a search, Search Committee Members complete the University-sponsored on-line tutorial.
3. Post the approved position in Careers at UF to obtain a requisition number. Post outside advertisements in at least one national publication – online or printed format (The Chronicle of Higher Education is free). It is the department’s responsibility to make sure all outside ads post and to print a copy of the ads. It’s best to check the websites 24 hours after the ad goes live on Careers at UF. If you don’t see it, contact the recruiter to have it posted manually.
See Advertisement search tips for tips on how to find your ad on The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Please note: Advertising requirements vary when hiring foreign nationals. Please contact COM-HR if you anticipate this prospect prior to placing outside ads.
4. After the recruitment deadline, the Search Committee Members should review applications and make recommendations of applicants who warrant further Consideration. All Search Committee meetings are subject to Florida Public Records Law and notice of such meetings must be posted. Email the recruiter with the date, time and place of the meeting and he/she will post it online. Committees are required to retain minutes of their meetings. Minutes should record dates, names of committee members and those present and topics discussed. Department should close the requisition posting if posted as “open until filled”.
5. Schedule and hold interviews. Select final candidate. Document reference checks (3 required) made by phone OR collect 3 letters of recommendation for final candidate.
6. Forward the draft Letter of Offer, CV and two Outside Ads via email to COM-APPOFFERLETTERS-L@lists.ufl.edu for review prior to obtaining chair signatures. Please indicate the requisition number in your email for reference. If the final candidate is a foreign national on a visa, please indicate whether he/she will be requesting a Social Security number.
7. After you have received approval for the draft, complete the following and forward as scanned PDF documents to email@example.com. On the subject line of the email, please include the following: Department ID, “Faculty”, requisition number, Position number, “Hire” and IF funding includes unrestricted and/or restricted sources, include “unrestricted” and/or “restricted”.
- Email indicating chartfields to be charged as well as whether the requisition used only online applications (required as of January 2014)
- PDF offer letter signed by chair
- Complete interview/hire data in Careers at UF (see Dispensing Applicants in Careers at UF)
- Faculty Compliance Report and Self Identity Statement (only necessary if posted without requiring all applications online)
- Position description
- Copies of 2 outside advertisements
- Print screen from the OIG exclusions database (http://exclusions.oig.hhs.gov/)
- Copy of CV
- For faculty with clinical responsibility, if the CV does not indicate the state in which they hold a medical license, please obtain this information and include it in the body of your email.
8. After the letter of offer is signed by the Dean, the original will be returned to the department to forward to the final candidate.
9. Request your HR recruiter verify highest level education for final candidate if they are a US graduate. If they are a foreign graduate, the department should contact a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services member to verify the degree. NACES members can be found online at http://www.naces.org/. Please note that for medical graduates who will receive a medical license, a copy of the degree confirmation from the FCVS packet will be acceptable.
10. Forward packet to your final candidate including the following documents for completion/signature and return.