The following modifiers are to be used for non-salaried appointments:
- Courtesy – The courtesy modifier should be used for those individuals not currently employed by the University in the faculty pay plan.
- Courtesy Clinical – This modifier should be used to designate non-salaried individuals who are primarily involved in patient care or clinical activities and who are not employed by the University in the faculty pay plan. If modifier is involved in patient care or clinical activities a Volunteer PLQ is needed.
- Affiliate or Joint – These modifiers apply to persons paid or holding appointments in a department or unit of the University who participate in another department or unit such as (joint) teaching and/or supervision of graduate students and/or research or extension on a regular or infrequent (affiliate) basis. A majority vote of the departmental faculty is required in the secondary department(s) to award such status. An affiliate appointment is not tenure eligible in the secondary department(s). Joint appointments may be tenure eligible. . The rights and privileges of affiliate appointees in the department should be made clear to them at the time of appointment. Affiliate faculty members will be reviewed by the departments annually and such appointments may be altered or terminated at any time.
New Hires (our courtesy checklist can be found here):
Please complete the following and forward as scanned PDF documents (no SSN included) to email@example.com.
- Along with the Academic Personnel Transaction form , include a Form 270 (Biographical Information Sheet), a letter of transmittal (transmittal letter must include the duties, and frequency of involvement), a degree waiver approved by Academic Personnel (if the appointee does not have the degree recommended for the faculty title being offered) and visa information (if the appointee is a foreign national).
- ePAF requires a social security number for all appointments. If your new hire does not have a social security number please contact the tax office for a “temporary” social security number.
- Budgetary References on the Academic Personnel Transaction form should be filled out as follows:
- For courtesy appointments list the Department ID #, Position # and FTE should be left blank, BWK Rate or Contractual Rate of Pay should have “Non-Salaried” typed in, Job Code and Title.
- For joint or affiliate appointments fill in the salaried account number, Position # and FTE, type in “salaried” under the BWK Rate or Contractual Rate of Pay, Job Code and Title. Then list the state account for the joint/affiliate appointment, Position # and FTE should be left blank, BWK Rate or Contractual Rate of Pay should have “Non-Salaried” typed in, Job Code and Title. Signatures from both the salaried and joint/affiliate departments are needed.
- If the “new” joint or affiliate appointee is already employed by the University in a faculty position in the College of Medicine only an Academic Personnel Transaction form and a memo describing the role of the faculty member and the department faculty vote for the apppointment. But, if the “new” joint or affiliate appointee is employed by the University in a faculty position in another college and a department in the College of Medicine wishes to grant him/her a joint or affiliate appointment, along with an Academic Personnel Transaction form and the memo describing the role of the faculty member and the department faculty vote for the appointment, include a Form 270 and visa information, if the appointee is a foreign national.
- All reappointments and terminations are to be processes via the computer listing of non-salaried appointments that our office issues each May for updating for the next fiscal year.
- Attach the Academic Personnel Transaction form with a letter of justification for the promotion. These promotions are effective at the beginning of the academic year.
Last updated 2.4.19