To provide for an orderly transition of responsibilities, it is beneficial for managers to dedicate time to collaborate with a departing employee to document current/outstanding projects, upcoming deadlines, contact information for outside vendors/agencies, and other institutional knowledge that might be lost during transition. Below are some suggestions for documenting information for a smooth transition.
Consider asking the employee to provide:
- A project status report which might include:
- list of all current, outstanding, and important upcoming projects, deadlines and tasks
- list of ongoing regular tasks
- list of open items on which the employee is currently working
- Contact information for those with whom an employee has been working on tasks, projects, committees, etc.
2. A list of key people (internal and external) to whom someone else should be introduced before the current employee leaves their position.
3. A list of external agencies or groups (including contact information) with whom the exiting employee interacts in fulfilling one’s responsibilities.
4. Compilation of specific files/records/emails related to current or past projects to be retained for a period of time.
5. Ask the employee to save all documents on departmental shared drive.
COM-HR is here to assist you with your Off-Boarding needs. If you have any questions, or need assistance please contact COM-HR.